On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 12:14:28PM +1000, Chris Freeman wrote:

> Bounces to forged email addresses warning people of the virus should be
> considered in the same category as SPAM. This is a real nuisance,

Some AV companies have clue:

    http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/news/spamvertising.htm
    http://www.f-prot.com/news/gen_news/open_letter_30jan2004.html

> I just want to accentuate this point. If you are a mail server
> administrator TURN OFF NOTIFICATION!

And whatever you do, do not *ever* send the infected attachment to
anyone.  You've done well, you've found a virus, that's wonderful.  You
may feel the need to share your success with someone[0], but you don't
need to send the virus along to prove you really did find it.

Hmmm. I wonder how many copies of these viruses are currently being
bounced between two similarly badly configured AV scanners, and how
many times they've made the round trip?

Cheers,

John
[0] After all, having the IQ of a lobotomised flatworm, it's probably
    the only thing you've acheieved all day^Wyear.
--
I expect them to say "the data is on a RAID, therefore you don't need
backups".  Because they are all fucking idiots.