On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:51:28PM +1000, Heracles wrote:
> bill wrote:
>

> >I have 3 pc's networked to an ethernet switch, which is connected to
> >the 'Net via a modem router. All works well.
> >
> >My house was cabled for LAN with cat5 cable when it was built.
> >
> >I have connected a pc to each of 2 LAN wall outlets ( in different
> >rooms)  with a straight-through (ie not crossover) cable, and have
> >tried connecting the ethernet switch to each of the 4 outlets at the
> >LAN outlet point at the other end of the cabling in my "Den". The
> >appropriate set of lights on the ethernet switch fail to light up, no
> >matter which of the 4 outlets at the wall junction I attach it to,
> >even though the other end of one of these outlets has a PC (in another
> >room) attached.
> >
> >Either all of the LAN cabling in the house is defective (unlikely as
> >the other cables for Cable-TV and TV Aerial work), or I am doing
> >something wrong re connecting the remote PC's to the ethernet switch.
> >
> >Should I be using straight-through cable or crossover cable from the
> >wall point to the ethernet switch (I asume straight-through)?
> >
> >How can I test the cabling, short of purchasing an appropriate cable
> >tester?
> >
> Straight through cables from the switch is correct. If you are not
> getting a connection I would check the cabling - check the patch cables
> first.  I know you don't want to buy a cable tester (however, a simple
> continuity tester is only a few dollars) but without such a device you
> could be spending a great deal of time and still not solve your problem.

Why not take the switch to the pc use your straight through cable to
connect pc to switch to see is the lights come on.  If it does, it still
might be the card or the cable.  I would presume the cable first, easier
to test this.  once you do get conectivity then tack the switch back to
the orginal place and connect via your patched cable if it now fails
then its the patch LAN cabling.

Alex