My experience over hundreds of such installations indicates this:

If your Cat5 cabling was installed by your friendly local
electrician, you may find she/he has made the connection incorrectly.
 You will find that the NICs and the 100BASET switch will indicate
that the physical connection is there (appropriate LEDs) but data
will fail to be transmitted.  Incorrect termination is most easily
proved by the use of a 10BASET hub or switch which in almost all
cases WILL work over incorrectly terminated Cat5 cabling.  100BASET
will NEVER work over incorrectly terminated Cat5 cabling.