Thanks to James and the others for contributing to this discussion.
There are some good thoughts. Also some great ones from the AJUG list.

The reason, which I failed to explain clearly in the first post for a
'stack' is that the first lookup might not be the only leap out from
that form. ie

Order Form, partially filled in.
--> Search for Customer
-----> Customer not there, add customer
--------> Search for Customer type to add to customer (if there are
1Mills of them, requires request/response browser)
------------> Customer Type not there, add customer type
--------> Select Customer type for partially filled customer form and
return to customer form
-----> Finish entering customer form and save.
---> Select newly entered customer to add to partiall filled order
header.
--> Phew! Now finish the order Form!!!

Does this explain the need for a 'stack'? This sort of thing is an
absolute requirement in an ERP style app. It's actually easy stuff if
writing GUI, just icky in web. Hence the question...

Thanks again to those who chipped in. I'll try to work within the normal
HTML request response I think and use a 'session' object in Struts to
hold state for the stack.

Thanks

Stuart