On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 17:29 +1000, Alexander Samad wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 04:06:06PM +1000, James Gregory wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 15:09 +1000, Jason Rennie wrote:
> > > Which linux file system is best for storing large files (Big MPEG and
> > > AVI files specifically) ?
> > >
> > > I'm guessing ext2/3 is not the best choice, but I don't really know
> > > which to choose from Reiser, XFS or JFS. What are peoples experiences
> > > with such things ?
> >
> > XFS is designed for large files. I'd personally go with it on RAID1 (for
> > interleaved reads).
>
> what would be the suggestoin for a file share partition which will have
> a lot of small files and a lot of large files (videos)

Last I heard, Reiser was the recommendation for storing lots of small
files (it's certainly performed well for me in this situation). As xfire
says in another thread though, you need to make sure it meets your needs
for backup/recovery and disaster recovery. XFS would also do pretty
well.

James.

--
James Gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>