<quote who="Peter Chubb">
> I suggest you get Bach to work ... fire up a mixer and make sure that
> output is enabled from the CD and the volume control isn't on zero.
> Then you can Lizten to your heart's content.

That may not be sufficient. On a lot of recent machines, the audio cable
from the CD-ROM drive to the sound card is not installed. Windows Media
Player uses CDDA digital extraction and then plays the music as if it were
a wav file. This won't use the analog cable, and allows the visualisation
effects they play (otherwise they'd have to capture the audio from the sound
card).

Which means that you need a CDDA based CD player to play them... which Gnome
2.8's CD player isn't, but 2.8.1's should be... the patch just missed the
freeze date.

Of course, this is not to say that your problem isn't just that the CD
channel is turned down in your mixer :)

J.
--
Jan Schmidt                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ENOSIG