I have a machine hosted in the US that's in need of a reinstall. Upgrading isn't really an option- the current OS can't be trusted after a recent breakin, besides which the version of Red Hat it's running now is far too crusty to attempt an upgrade to Fedora.

The only likely result I've seen from google, http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?s=541e07a7d1425c3dc2df69e6c48e0a52&showtopic=236207 , seems to imply that the install CD has an sshd on board, which a friendly NOC guy will cheerfully start. However it then goes on to say that the NOC guy has to be friendly enough to actually run through a bare install.

Has anybody tried this and can offer advice? Is it really as simple as booting CD, setting a root password, bringing up a network interface and sshd? How does one launch the installer from a shell prompt? http://fedora.redhat.com/ is depressingly lacking in docs, and I didn't notice anything in the RH9 manual about remote installs.

The other option is to use a chroot environment in the current OS to bootstrap a new installation, a la http://trilldev.sourceforge.net/files/remotedeb.html . It's much longer and riskier than installing from a CD. But it may be preferable to asking my NOC guys to sit at the console hitting enter.

--
Pete

--
Pete