On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 20:48 +1100, Rod Butcher wrote:
> Final straw was trying to set transparent background. I was presented
> with techno-gobbledegook.

File - New - Fill Type: Transparent

or in an existing image:

Layer - New Layer - Layer Fill Type: Transparent

Doesn't come a whole lot more straight forward than that. To make the
transparent layer your background in an existing image takes the same
layer manipulation skills as Photoshop ie: raise layer, lower layer etc,
all two clicks away.

--

"We have no intention of introducing a loans scheme with a real or
indeed any other rate of interest."

The Truth: "Debts accrued under FEE-HELP will be indexed to the
consumer price index . . . A loan fee of 20 per cent will apply to
FEE-HELP loans for undergraduate courses of study only."
--Higher Education Loan Programme (Department of
Education, Science and Training Update, March 2004)