Hi all

I tried Menno's suggestion last night. I reconfigured X to use the vga driver but couldn't work out how to load the vga driver from modprobe.
In /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ there is a mga_drv.o and a vga_drv.o which I presume are the Matrox and the VGA drivers that need to be loaded. A 'modprobe vga' or 'modprobe vga_drv' does not find any driver.
There is some guff about module paths in the modules.conf and update-modules but I shouldn't need to be fiddling with that.

Also I notice that an lsmod of my laptop here (running fine) doesn't show any video driver loaded. A man says lsmod just formats /proc/modules nicely and I presume this only shows what modules a kernel loads after it has booted - not what drivers are compiled in statically?

Menno Schaaf wrote:
Is the driver for the gfx card loaded? I notice that you tell it to
use the "mga" driver, but is it loaded? check with lsmod, and if it
isn't loaded then you need to load it. If it is loaded, try starting X
with the generic vga driver and see what happens.

Michael Lake wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I did an lsmod but I don't think I saw any video driver loaded. But then if the kernel I am using has the driver compiled in and not loaded as a module at startup I would'd see any driver with lsmod would I?

I'll have a look at trying a generic vga driver tonight (the Alpha is at home). I gather I replace mga with vga and try something like 'modprob vga'. Alternatively I could reconfigure xfree again and I gather a 'generic vga' option can be selected for the card at the start of the reconfigure.

Mike

--
Michael Lake
Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If