Hi

> > >   Applications > System Tools > New Login
> > >   Applications > System Tools > New Login in a Nested Window
>
> > How about the nice, easy, fast solution:
>
> Which means you always have two X servers running, and you don't get to
> clicky-click the menu items and have your session automagically locked by
> the screensaver. Nice? Not really. Easy? Less so. Fast? Maybe.

I don't understand what you mean, but how about this:

User a has a completely normal desktop. She is unaware that there is
another.

User b has a completely normal desktop. She is unaware that there is
another.

Choose which desktop you wish to own with <ctrl><alt> and continue.

The screen-saver even obeys the rules of the visible desktop, while the
invisible DT is ignored. We do, and have for years, run with 4 desktops.
This is how it does work, not a theory of how it may or may not work.
James