On 10/02/2005, at 11:04 AM, O Plameras wrote:

Shaun Butler wrote:

Hi SLUGgers

Has anyone had much luck installing and using digital TV tuner card under Linx? My VCR died the other day and this might be the opporunity I need to move to recording TV shows onto my computer directly

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Read the ff. info so very carefully before expending time and money
on this intended project.

http://www.schlesinger.us/nf20031230.htm

The endeavour is even more hazardous here in Australia. There is
no working 'tv_grab_au' from the official xmltv software up-to-now
AFAIK.

Nope but if you look on the mythtv user lists you will find a a python, and perl based grabbers that will function in sydney. It might not be strictly legal but thats between you and the web site its ripped from.

You will discover this when you get to 'Zap2it' a tv
program listing site that does not provide you correctly with the list of
service providers here in Australia.

zap2it is for the USA

To get a sense of the issues involve, check the postings here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=52&hl=#entry22169

But in the end, if learning specifically about linux kernel, device drivers,
compilation, installations, mysql, and lots of fun things about linux is of
paramount benefit to you, then, it is worth the time and money to plunge
into this project. But I for one would not do it for getting the pleasure of
having a TIVO-like service.

Mythtv can steal lots of your time, there is a new release 0.17 that will be available soon with considerable updates to its DVB support.

If you simply wish to get the pleasure of digital tv recording, editing,
and controlling, then get commercial TIVO, at least for now.

TIVO doesn't have an official guide data either, but you can just use cron or at to record programs if you dont want the who PVR package.