Angus Lees wrote:

At Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:37:41 +1100, Oscar Plameras wrote:

Angus Lees wrote:
This is because tv_grab_au (from
http://www.onlinetractorparts.com.au/rohbags/xmltvau/)
does not work successfully on my installation. I'll try this perl
version again and the python
version suggested in another post.

I'm happy to help debug the problem with the script if you'd like, but I'm going to need more information than that.

Thanks for offering help to debug.

Yes, I will provide more detailed info on 'tv_grab_au'(perl version) as soon as
I have re-set my MythTV-Fusion Linux Test Box. I have it setting on
a different project at this moment.

"In what way doesn't it work?"

The 'tv_grab_au' that I downloaded straight from that site complains that
something is missing but I can't post the exact words of the error because
I have setup my Test Linux box without the MythTV-Fusion at this
moment.

You said you have been using one for the last six months, so
I assume you did some modifications to it to make it work. Is this right ?

'tv_grab_au' does not complete execution at all. Somewhere, along the
execution process, it bombs out with an error that says 'something is missing'.
I will post the exact message as soon as I have setup my Linux box.

A number of other users as you will notice in the MythTV and related lists
have the same execution problems that I encountered. None to my knowledge
have posted corrections that works in my setup. Some claimed that they have
a working version but no details of the 'tv_grab_au' (Perl version is what I'm
talking about).

As far as I'm concerned, the claim that it works can only be verified if there
are details of the install procedure (HOWTO) including the HDTV card used
and that I can replicate the HOWTO successfully. Others may have different
views on this that may be equally respected.

I presume you've tried running the script standalone (outside mythtv)?

Yes, I've done this including modifying the script after which I managed to run
without errors but the results do not yield the correct ones. I have at least 3 of
the previous versions of 'tv_grab_au', none of which works on my MythTV
setup.

My MythTV setup itself worked because the MythWeather module and of
course the MythConfig, etc., are working. I suspect my MythTV channels
also works even though I get a Black-Blank Screen when I switch to
TV channel. I believed I get this results because my 'tv_grab_au' does not work
for now.

I learned from various lists, there are legal and technical barriers
preventing FREE ACCESS to these services here in Australia. Service
providers are looking for fees before allowing access. This is UNDERSTANDABLE
and FAIR. Providers have to have a way to sustain themselves and pay
for their investments.

But to get this commercial service one has to buy also commercial
hardware and pty software (TIVO about $1000) which I do not agree with.

Besides I'm not keen in having the pleasure of the service, rather I'm just
curious in understanding the operations under Open Source environment
which I have now, I believe. I just want to finally validate my understanding
by having a complete and working system. Until then I can't say my
understanding is complete.

The HOWTO found on the Internet are all done for one of the countries, other
than Australia, AFAIK, with 'tv_grab_??' that is available from the distro of
XMLTV. For example, 'tv_grab_jp' which works for me. But I can't test
because I'm not in Japan.

There are 'tv_grab_??' for North America, Germany, UK, etc and NONE for
Australia from the official XMLTV source codes, at least during the last time I checked in November, 2004. Also, none of these HOWTO I referred above
is using FUSION-HDTV card. Most are using Hauppage cards. I am reluctant to buy
Hauppage card(costing about $500) as I'm not convinced at this stage that the problem
is with my FUSION-HDTV card. That's why I'm looking for a decent
'Australian MythTV HOWTO' even with other than FUSION-HDTV card that
is proven to work and I can replicate.