>> # cd /proc
       ^^^^^^^

>> # ls -l kc*
>> -r--------    1 root     root     948887552 Apr 15 18:41 kcore
>>
>> what is it and do I need it ..?
>
> It's a core dump of memory.  Do: size core

> and it will tell you what program dumped it, and then think back to what
> you were doing with that proggy at 18:41 on 15 Apr and think what might
> have gone wrong; otherwise rm -f kcore

i think you haved missed that the file is in the proc-directory and
therefore it is not a "real" file with that size. the files in the proc-fs
are just snapshots of kernel-internal datastructures and other stuff like
configuration and statistics. so removing the file should not be possible
(i have never tried it).

from my kernel doc (/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt)

 kcore       Kernel core image (can be ELF or A.OUT(deprecated in 2.4))