<quote who="Sridhar Dhanapalan">

> 1. the installer didn't ask me to define a root password

Yep, the root account is disabled.

> 2. once installed, I discovered that the root password was the same as the
> password of the user I had created in the installation

Nup, there is no root password - it's locked. You must've been using sudo.

> 3. the user I had created in the installation was able to change system
> settings that can normally only be changed as root

Only when you authenticate again via sudo.

> 4. I could open a root terminal without typing a password

The only time you can get to a root terminal without typing a password is
when you boot in recovery mode - sulogin drops you directly to a root prompt
(if an attacker has sufficient physical access to your system to reboot and
select the recovery mode boot choice, then your system is owned already).

> To fix the last two points I had to manually turn off "Executing system
> administration tasks" in "Users and Groups".

That actually means you've disabled sudo access for your user, which you'll
have to recover by booting in recovery mode.

> While I believe that Lindow^H^H^Hspire is a wart on the face of free
> software, I was shocked to see Ubuntu seemingly taking the same path. Am I
> missing something?

Yep - the difference between running every process as root and secure access
to administrative functionality via sudo. :-)

- Jeff

--
EuroOSCON: October 17th-20th    http://conferences.oreillynet.com/eurooscon/

     "I guess there's part of me that's always resented it... to be an
   actor, you have to have someone else say yes to you." - Edward Norton