Phill wrote:
Hi all

I'm told that one of the big pros of the X server/client is that the
server and the client can be on separate machines ( I  guess like a remote
desktop). How can I use my windows machine to run applications on the
linux machine. Currently I'm just using a "vnc" setup.

Phill

Short answer: install cygwin on your windows machine, making sure to install whatever X server is included with it.

Other info which may or may not be useful:
in terms of X servers, the terms server/client are probably inverted to natural thought (maybe its just me though). Linux needs an X server to display the application, that X server does not have to be on the machine that the application is running on. In fact, the machine the linux app is running on does not even need an X server installed. You might naturally think of the linux box as the "server" in a case like this, which it is in the sense that it is "serving" the app. But the X server runs on the "client". Which basically means you need an x server on your windows machine. Hence cygwin.

Fil