<quote who="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">

> dpkg: error processing Desktop/skype_1.2.0.18-1_i386.deb (--install):
>  package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
>  Desktop/skype_1.2.0.18-1_i386.deb
>
> resolvable?

Not too easily. Debian/Ubuntu doesn't have biarch (because it's a bad way of
doing things anyway), and neither have yet to move to multiarch (though that
is coming in Dapper+1, the release due at the end of the year).

For 64 bit Intel CPUs, I recommend just using the i386 distro. For actual
amd64 it gets harder because they're actually really crap at doing 32 bit.
Generally, the best way to do this for the moment is to run a 32 bit chroot,
but you'll generally find that enough of the necessary libraries are shipped
in the ia32libs package, so just unpack the Skype deb and put it somewhere
useful.

> I tried to get xine to play a wmv file. I enabled every repositry and every
> option. I get (sic):
>
> The stream ShazBaz.wmv use an unsupported codec:
> Video Codec: Windows Media Video 9(WMV3)
> Start Playing anyway ?
>
> Easy with SuSE: install the w32codec-all-20050412-0.pm.0.i586.rpm
> All is fine.

SuSE distribute random Windows DLLs (for which they have no license) in an
RPM? Crazy. There are w32codec packages available for Debian and Ubuntu, but
*definitely not* distributed by either. There's lots of information about
these available on the Ubuntu wiki (or grab EasyUbuntu, which is a sane way
of getting some of this naughty stuff onto your system).

- Jeff

--
FISL 7.0: Porto Alegre, Brazil        http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/7.0/www/

    "Basically my philosophy on release management is that it should be
                like police brutality." - Maciej Stachowiak