Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> I see two main challenges to solving this conundrum:
>
> * getting people to attend a meeting in the first place
> * encouraging people to continue to participate afterwards

Sridhar,
I'd love to be an active member of SLUG. The group seems pretty healthy and
by all accounts it reminds me of the best features of many of the computer
usergroups I remember fondly from the 80's.

I share(literally) Mary's child/meeting night problem. I have a schedule
that makes it just about impossible to attend meetings unless they're on a
Monday or Tuesday night. It's a very haphazard scheduling outside of that.
I'm not suggesting you change the night of the meeting, but I wonder if for
many people it's just logistic issues that prevent them from attending?

Many of the most succesful user-groups and clubs that I have seen operating
have achieved a great number of things, but they nearly always did it on the
back of a very strong social network. Usergroups are great as places to make
true friends and meet with them regularly for some face-to-face and focussed
time talking about common interests.

If you want to attract and retain members I'd maintain a focus on community
and sociality. It's something that every member will need to practice too
though; it isn't something that only a few can do. In the end that'll mean
that attracting and maintaining members will probably have to be a shared
concern. If it's only the committee worried about it you're probably in for
a tough time doing much about it.

regards
Terry