T Murray wrote:

> I think the use of offical greeters to assist new people get an orientation
> and feel welcome is a great idea.

If you get the right people doing this it could make a big difference I'm sure.

> I guess another option is to give the new members a nametag or something
> and then encourage an etiquette of existing members introducing themselves
> visitors during coffee time.

heh, if you're going to do nametags then everyone should be encouraged to
wear nametags, not just the newbies. Otherwise the name-tags alone can make
you feel uncomfortable and 'marked'.

Everyone wearing name-tags, while perhaps seeming a bit daggy, could
actually be a cool thing. You could, for example, have a scheme where other
people could endorse a persons nametag for exceptional behaviour. You know,
Gold Stars for being helpful or something. Maybe you could endorse your
nametag with things that you're prepared to talk about, help with or that
you are knowledgable about. This might provide a means of readily
identifying who the helpful people are, and perhaps encouraging people to
put in the little bit of extra effort to help people.

regards
Terry