T Murray wrote:

> I know a lot of you use Ubuntu, I currently use Debian (etch) but am a
> little hesitant to move across to Ubuntu as I dont fully understand what the
> difference is (apart from multimedia appearing to be easier to set up).

I use Ubuntu on my most recently acquired laptop and my recently setup
work machince. I anduse/used Debian on my previous laptop and home
desktop top machines (one for me and one for my wife).

> What are the main differences between the two on the command line?

Very very little.

>  I hear there is no root access???

Like Jeff said, you can do 99% of everything you do as root with sudo,
and you can still have a root account for the rest.

> (i) Because Ubuntus better and

Personally I don't think Ubuntu is better, nor is it worse, they are
just slightly different. Ubuntu has regular 6 month release cycles
while Debian stable has a much longer release cycle and Debian testing
is in a sort of constant update state. In this regard, I actually
think Ubuntu has the lead here.

One aspect where Debian has a definite advantage is the reportbug
utility and why that tool feels straight into the Debian bug tracking
tool. The reportbug utility is simply a mile ahead of any web based
bug entry tool. On ubuntu I *really* miss this. In fact, when I find
bugs in Ubuntu, I have twice verified that the bug exists on Debian
and then report the bug there instead.

Jeff, are you listening? I know we've spoken about this before. And
if this has been fixed in Dapper please slap me with a box of Dapper
disks :-).

> (ii) Setting up multimedia is easier.

To a certain extent this is true.

HTH,