<quote who="Phil">

> I must be missing something.  Work has one key and different essid, at
> home I have different ones.  So I setup two locations, one called home and
> one called work.
>
> If I hibernate at work and start-up the OS when I get home, it never ever
> recognises my home network.  I have to manually configure it using
> iwconfig.  Is there an easy way to do this ?  My wireless chip is an
> Atheros based one.

The default software isn't clever enough to do this for you. However, with a
little help from Network Manager (install network-manager-gnome), you will
have a *very* pleasurable network switching experience; both wifi and wired.

Unfortunately, NM doesn't work very well with my Atheros wifi, because the
drivers are a bit b0rky (if you try to scan, you'll be disassociated from
the AP - NM scans regularly, so the combination is cruel and unusual). You
may have a better experience if your card requires the madwifi-ng drivers.

I absolutely loved NM when I had an ipw2200-based laptop. Plug in the cable
and *blam*, wired network. Unplug and *blam*, connected to my home wireless
network. Go to the JSBH and *blam*, connected to the pub's wireless network.
It's great stuff, *if* everything from your kernel drivers up are good.

Linux wifi from the kernel up is a bit sucky at this point, but there is a
*lot* of work being done on it. :-)

- Jeff

  "Spanish Flu, the epidemic that killed 50 million people in 1918/9, was
              known as French Flu in Spain." - BBC News, 2005