$quoted_author = "PHILLIPS Mark" ;

> Does anybody have any experience with Border Gateway Protocols? I know I
> don't, I had to Google it!

experience, yes. expert, no. :)

> "I am trying to locate people who have had experience operating large
> networks, in particular people who are familiar with the operation of
> BGP within the networks. Specifically, what I am trying to locate is
> some stories of what occurs within a network during periods of
> instability.
>
> So when routes flap, how long does the network take to converge again
> and what are the factors that influence the network convergence."

oh, that's a whole can of worms right there.

time to convergance varies from network to network:
- number of eBGP & iBGP talkers
- number of feeds and size of feeds
- underlying hardware (CPU intensive)

repeated flaps also encounter dampening at some sites.

cheers
marty

--
supine: From the Latin for "lying on one's back," to be supine has come to mean
"inactive." But as Damien Hirst suggests with his maxim "Minimum effort for

"An Idler's Glossary" - http://www.hermenaut.com/a158.shtml