On 2006.11.06 11:10 Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
This one time, at band camp, Robert Thorsby wrote:
> I'm sure everybody has noticed the massive upsurge in spam
> over the last two-three weeks. This increase in volume seems
> to have begun at about the end of the NSW school holidays,
> but I think that their ending may be more-or-less coincidental.

I'm not sure the spam has increased, just it's currently able to
get through the filters more.  It's an arms race and, at this point
in time, the spammers are winning.
<rest of post snipped>

I tend to disagree. I have no filtering because I fwd all spam to ACMA (don't know that it does any good). There was a definite, massive, increase at a moment in time that coincided with US morning on a Mon (or Tue after a US long w/end, my memory is hazy).

It could be that a new or particularly nasty virus/worm/trojan hit at that time, but the spam count on my machine more than doubled from that moment on.

I might also be that my email addresses were included in one or more additional spam lists.

There has definitely also been a change in the "type" of spam being sent. For example, there is a popular "new" one that consists of a great number of single lines of text taken from multiple sources. There is also another new one (which is present on a number of mailing lists) that commences with an image.

Robert Thorsby