On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 04:41:49 +1100, Peter Hardy wrote:

> > You could do it with routing, but all devices on eth1 (10.x) would need
> > to have a route to the 192.x network.
>
> In theory, this just means adding the static route to your DHCP server.

Only in the theory that says every device uses DHCP ...

> But in practice, both of the dhcp clients I've tried in Linux don't ask
> for static-routes by default, and I've only idly googled to check
> whether Windows supports it. The answer seems to be "maybe".

The dhcp-options(5) man page says "... this option  is  virtually
useless, and is not implemented by any of the popular DHCP clients, for
example the Microsoft DHCP client".  Given that this was written by ISC,
I'd be willing to bet that it's not implemented by their DHCP client
either.

> But yeah. A simpler and more efficient solution would be to make sure
> your multi-homed box has IP forwarding turned on ( echo 1 >
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward ), and add a static route on the device

Yes, very important.  I forgot to include that bit.

> terminating your internet connection, telling it to use your multi-homed
> box as a gateway for 192.168.0.0/24. As long as there's nothing else on
> the 10.0.0 network that you want to talk to, everything will Just Work.

s/will/should/

:-)

Cheers,

John
--
One distinguishing characteristic of BOFHen is attention deficit disorder.
Put me in front of something boring and I can find a near-infinite number