On 29/12/06, Zhasper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Under linux, sockets are files, so lsof does show sockets as well.

I know lsof can monitor also network connections but that's not because
"sockets are files".
UNIX-domain sockets, which are usually uninteresting, indeed occupy i-nodes
on filesystems, but I'm not aware of a standard way to map network sockets (
e.g. TCP/UDP sockets) to filesystem names. Do you? (maybe there is some
specialized linux filesystem which does this, but I don't see one on my
system right now. I think there used to be some attempts to map TCP and UDP
ports under /dev/tcp and such but they died out on ages ago, at least on
Linux. Maybe they still live on systems like Plan 9, Hurd and Ameoba).

I've seen GUIs for netstat - I'm fairly sure Gnome comes with one as
part of an app called "Network Tools" or something like that - but
can't recall details offhand, and don't have a 'nix machine handy to
look at.

Looking at GNOME's Network Tools 2.14.2 (Debian Etch) it appears to be a
simple interface to one-time execution of netstat, not even with an option
to add the "-p" option.

Cheers,

--P