This one time, at band camp, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Not sure if mailman has the ability but in PHPList you can
> throttle the speed that the mails are sent out. I have a
> client that has over 1000 in its list - All I do is set it
> up so it sends out a single email every second. Takes a bit
> longer but does not impact the server.

That would generate more load for the server rather than less.  It means
every address @hotmail.com gets sent yet again, rather than in a single
transaction.

My recommendation would be to send as many as the upstream server will
allow.  50 would be a good start.  And sort them by domain so that the
@hotmail.com @yahoo.com and @gmail.com addresses get grouped into one
transaction.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
www.rumble.net

Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for
appointment by the corrupt few.

- George Bernard Shaw