G'day Rosemary,

You need to transfer your Ubuntu users to Samba users. To create a link between your Ubuntu user and a Samba user do the following:

sudo gedit /etc/samba/smbusers

Add the line: <username> = <username>

eg: for me I would add:  alex = alex

The first is the ubuntu username, the second is your samba username.

If this doesn't work there's a chance Samba isn't started (or perhaps installed if an update has removed it for some reason (I've observed that behaviour with Ubuntu and find it infuriating)).

Hoo Roo,
Alex.

Rosemary MacPherson wrote:
Hi all,

Second post requesting help

(See my post Firefox problem for an explanation of my total infancy in Linux)

I have several PCs running Win98 plus one running Win98 / Ubuntu as a dual-boot
on a LAN.

I can see the Ubuntu PC on the Win 98 PCs but when I try to access I get a pop-up box
asking for a password to  "resource  \\MAC2\IPC$"

My Ubuntu passwords do not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Again, words of one syllable as I really am a novice at this Thanks
Stewart MacPherson

 Mac from the Mountains