On Wednesday 28 February 2007 17:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Second post requesting help
>
> (See my post Firefox problem for an explanation of my total infancy in
> Linux)
>
> I have several PCs running Win98 plus one running Win98 / Ubuntu as a
> dual-boot on a LAN.
>
> I can see the Ubuntu PC on the Win 98 PCs but when I try to access I get a
> pop-up box asking for a password to  "resource  \\MAC2\IPC$"
>
> My Ubuntu passwords do not work.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Again, words of one syllable as I really am a novice at this

I'm not exactly sure what you are asking <sorry> but if you want to see
network the neighborhood on your ubuntu box and have samba up-n-running and
suitable shares mapped then

you must provide a login passwd, typically

smbpasswd -a me-or-other
secret
secret

Also choose the same workgroup for all systems eg WORKGROUP, MSHOME TUX etc
Then when you access network->all networks->WORKGROUP as me-or-other and
secret you have access.

You may also specify public shares and have no login requirements typical
eg /tmp

swat makes this easy for a newby, but don't bother its too hard to make it
work on ubuntu!

James