I'm using the CDMA as well at the moment (2 Windows machines, 1 linux machine, 6 mac-based embedded devices), and I agree, slow and semi-reliable. At the moment I have to keep a permanent ping running to prevent the connection falling off.

So while Quozl's information does seem sufficient, the result (at least for me) has not inspired huge trust in a reliable solution.

HOWEVER, we have some NextG cards we're currently using on Windows (can't transition the Macs yet since the drivers are still too buggy for release) and I can tell you it's a world of difference.

Connects in no time flat, quite responsive, decent data rate. And from my testing, better coverage in tight urban spaces.

One of our CDMA modems is deep in an inner city shopping plaza inside a building, and only phones home about 6 out of the 24 times it should daily. The connection keeps falling off.

In comparison, the NextG modem I tested on the laptop seemed to connect quite effortlessly.

So nothing but good things so far with the network, at least in areas where you get the "good" towers. Haven't tried in country areas yet.

So assuming you can get the device itself working and stable, by all means make the move. But if you can do be absolutely sure you can jump through the necessary hoops to get it working before you commit to moving.

I won't be transitioning the linux server to the new network though, it's moving to some other weird connection into the Telstra WAN segment we're doing our stuff on. 1.5 meg and not before time :)

Adam K

Sonia Hamilton wrote:
I've been using Telstra's Maxon CDMA for internet access while on the
road - slow, semi-reliable. The Telstra phone bunnies are telling me
it's time to upgrade to NextG.

I've had a google around on Whirlpool, pulled up this Quozl's guide at
[1], which seems to indicate it works; I'm interested in ppl's
experiences before I take the plunge and submit myself to the next round
of Telstra pain...

[1] http://quozl.linux.org.au/bp3-usb/