On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:23:52 +0930
Glen Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 16:47 +1000, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> > > Me too - mine is a 13" basic white model (Core 2 duo) about a
> > > year old
> >
> > About 2 years ago, i went from a white 13 inch PowerPC iBook to a
> > fully optioned up Dell Latitude X1.
> >
> > Admittedly the iBook was 3 years old when I did that, but AFAIAC it
> > was very much the right way to go rather than getting an Intel
> > powered iBook/MacBook.
>

> Unless things have progressed, on my MacBook Pro I needed to install
> a stupid bootloader/BIOS emulator which reserved half of the hard disk
> for MacOS.
>
> At the time -- a year ago -- I did try to run Linux on the bare metal,
> but the video mode selection wouldn't work with just EFI. I really
> didn't want my new laptop to look like a pre-XWindows UNIX box, so
> I had to install BootCamp and give up half the hard disk to MacOS.
>
> Please tell me that Fedora or Ubuntu Just Work(tm) on the bare metal
> now.

I have a G4 12" iBook running Debian Etch. No problems except the modem
doesn't work. I haven't really chased it up much since the rest of it
seems to work well. It is about a year old or so. I doubt if I would
get another one since it seems that there are cheaper equivalents.

Alan

> --

Tel: +61 2 4782 2670            Mobile: +61 427 486 206
Fax: +61 2 4782 7092            FWD: 615662