On 13/09/2007, at 16:53, Glen Turner wrote:
Unless things have progressed, on my MacBook Pro I needed to install
a stupid bootloader/BIOS emulator which reserved half of the hard disk
for MacOS.

I don't think that's ever been true. The BIOS emulator has nothing to do with partitioning the hard disk. Boot Camp imposes that restriction, and you don't need Boot Camp for installing linux (or for anything else, other than burning a windows driver CD).

At the time -- a year ago -- I did try to run Linux on the bare metal,
but the video mode selection wouldn't work with just EFI. I really
didn't want my new laptop to look like a pre-XWindows UNIX box, so
I had to install BootCamp and give up half the hard disk to MacOS.

No, you only actually had to install the firmware update that was released at the same time as Boot Camp, and then use diskutil or rEFIt's gptsync tool to make the hybrid GPT/MBR partition table.

http://refit.sourceforge.net/myths/

Please tell me that Fedora or Ubuntu Just Work(tm) on the bare metal
now.

I haven't tried it recently, but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Regards
Philip