On 06/12/07 10:25:39, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> All this talk about opening the little
> yellow tab that says "opening will void
> warranty" is bollocks though, right?  I'm
> pretty sure under consumer law that you
> can't put those kinds of restrictions on
> a warranty.

The one I looked at yesterday (Myers, Erina Fair) had the opening
blocked with a black "plug" that would have taken surgery to remove. I
very much doubt if there was any connector underneath. If my
observations are accurate then one would have to "add" the connector,
an operation that would most certainly void any warranty.

> As for the screen being too small, Jeff
> I think that's kinda the point. It's
> meant to be ultra-portable, like the old
> Toshiba Librettos.  I think it's a
> reasonable tradeoff -- though I know Gnome
> has trouble with my already pretty low
> resolution laptop with some transient
> windows having important bits off the screen.

The screen image looked pretty reasonable to these tired eyes, though
the unit was not connected to the Net so I could not see how it went
surfing all those pages that have physical dimensions, or screen
resolutions, hard coded.

More important, at least to me, was that the keyboard (which had a
reasonable touch) seemed a tad too small -- a lot of multiple keying.
However, I think the keyboard size would be something that one could
get used to pretty easily.

> Is there a docking cradle available?

I don't recall seeing one but there are all the usual connectors
(except for miniPCI) and someone in the States has already replaced the
OS with ?ubuntu, so "docking" could be easily achieved via the LAN
connection.

--
Robert Thorsby
A host is a host from coast to coast,