Crossfire wrote:
I want to be able to set it up so /home (and maybe other filesystems) are replicated from one to the other, in both directions, in real time so they can run in an all-hot redundant cluster.

The environment should be mostly read-oriented, so I can live with write-latent solutions as long as they handle the race/collision gracefully (preferably by actually detecting and reporting it if they can't avoid it).

isn't this just a description of a network filesytem... say NFS?
I am also interested in what you come up with, but haven't seen anything that matchs. DRBD is not RW from both nodes. I have also used RAID1 over AoE and iSCSI, but not sure if this would help you at all either with only two nodes. I was thinking just yesterday some sort of fuse filesystem is what we need :)

dave