This article
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2002_Oct_29/ai_93509145
indicates a 2002 price for an Atmel 256K smartcard was only $0.52. I
think anything in the 1K - 512K would have to be either a smartcard,
or possible RFID type card/device.

If  you get away with only a few K, and it doesn't have to read/write
you could look at 2D bar codes. You would need some sort of durable
paper though.

--
Regards, Martin

Martin Visser