On 15/04/2008, Marghanita da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>
> > On 15/04/2008, Martin Visser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I understand your need to keep it vague, but if the data owner loses
> > >  his card/token/barcode (his copy of the data) and the motorbike rider
> > >  meets a grizzly end, is a whole village going to be very upset - or
> > >  will regular paper bookkeeping be trusted enough as a backup.
> > >

> > Nothing should be dependent upon a particular person, device or
> > storage medium. The village might be serviced by different people with
> > different laptops each time. There are lots of people fulfilling this
> > function, each with his/her area to service. The data from all these
> > people only comes together at the central office. The laptop should
> > only really be storing the data it picks up on its travels, not
> > carrying a repository of millions of account holders.
>
>  This is becoming a little like a game of charades.

Sorry about that. I'm trying to get permission to release the details.

> But is it only one
> motorcycle borne reader/writer who accesses the card?

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of motorcycle-borne people, each
servicing an area within their country (this is a global effort). We
cannot assume that the same person, with the same hardware, will
always visit a settlement.

>  As ERG and the NSW government have discovered the card and reader are not
> the hard bit, but there might be some relevant information here.
>  <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus_card> or here
> <http://www.erggroup.com/products/index.asp>

It looks to me that the Octopus card still requires a connection back
to a remote server somewhere to run the transaction. It's also geared
more as an ID device rather than a data storage medium.

We'd prefer to avoid proprietary hardware, and stick with commodity
solutions as much as possible. Low cost and avoidance of lock-in are
important.