I understand your need to keep it vague, but if the data owner loses
his card/token/barcode (his copy of the data) and the motorbike rider
meets a grizzly end, is a whole village going to be very upset - or
will regular paper bookkeeping be trusted enough as a backup. Having
endusers with no proof of a transaction or ability to read their own
data I would have thought has the potential for a lot of social
issues, and potential non acceptance of the technology.

You may have already considered this though - it all comes down to the
data value. Presumably if the cost of storage has to be <$1 then the
value of the data might only be $100 or less (by my reckoning)

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 15/04/2008, Robert Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 14:18 +1000, Martin Visser wrote:
>  >  > Also do they actually need to carry the data with them? It would seem
>  >  > if the ratio of data owners to intelligent devices/readers is so high,
>  >  > you really come back to simply needing a card number ala Medicare - or
>  >  > maybe even something like a "tinyurl" only a little more human
>  >  > rememberable.The client then just needs to recite their number/tinurl.
>  >  >
>  >  > This assumes that the reader device has real-time (or maybe near
>  >  > real-time is good enough, access to the data storage. (And near real
>  >  > -time may be good enough - 1 000 000 users with 10 K data each is
>  >  > "only" 10G - easily replicated on all your reader devices - assuming
>  >  > the data doesn't change all that often.
>  >
>  >
>  > I'm inferring that the scheme being developed is something like the
>  >  following:
>  >
>  >  * At each village/town there is a single low-capability but functional
>  >  pc. It has no reliable network.
>
>  Not quite. A person will arrive by motorcycle, probably once per week,
>  with a laptop in tow. They'll have about an hour to sort out the
>  people there before departing to the next settlement. At the end of
>  the day/week, they'll return to base and synchronise their laptop with
>  the central system.
>

>  >  * The data owners want to be able to track e.g. taxes, accounts, small
>  >  personal data.
>
>  Mostly simple financial data, like a passbook.
>

>  >  * They want to be able to use this data where *they* are, not where a
>  >  specific reader device is.
>
>  As mentioned above, the reader comes to them.
>
>  As mentioned previously, this is for the developing world. The current
>  system is very manual: paper and pen. It's very laborious, and open to
>  errors and even fraud. We're looking for a simple and reliable digital
>  replacement.
>  --

Regards, Martin

Martin Visser