On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:33:24 +1000
david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have an 86 year old Mother in law who has never used a computer.
>
> I want to give her an old laptop to play solitaire etc on while she is
> in an extended hospital stay. She has no idea how to anything and has
> trouble with mobile phones, much less Ubuntu, so I'm trying to remove
> as many impediments as possible.
>
> Is there any way to log her in without going through the login screen?
> How do I bypass the grub login options?
>
> I have set up so that no password is required, (U6aMy0wojraho in the
> encrypted shadow password does this job) but it would be better if the
> screen was avoided completely.
>
> Security is NOT an issue. She has perfect security, ie, a closed room
> with no wires. I know I could give her Windows, but I think Ubuntu
> will be easier because I can give her advice. I don't know how to run
> Windows ;-)

I have a debian etch box set up this way for my 99yo neighbour. She
wouldn't know what to do with a Windows system!!

I think you run gdmsetup as root. One of the options will be what you
want. Alternatively, hand edit /etc/gdm/gdm.conf and insert

AutomaticLoginEnable=false
AutomaticLogin=<user name>

Cheers,
Alan

> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> --

Tel:  04 2748 6206              Fax: +61 2 4782 7092
FWD: 615662