On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 at 11:33, david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I know I could give her Windows, but I think Ubuntu will
> be easier because I can give her advice. I don't know how to run
> Windows ;-)

I've found that a well-configured GNOME desktop (a la Ubuntu) is far easier
for a computer novice to wrap their heads around, thanks largely to the
amazing usability work done on the platform.

Complications occur mainly when you introduce an established Windows/Mac user,
and they expect the UI to be a clone of what they're used to. They are
tainted by their own experience. If they don't keep an open mind and
recognise that the UI is _different_ (not better or worse - that's a
different, and potentially very subjective debate) they will fail and meet
frustration.

--
"If you agree that Windows is a huge asset, then it follows quickly that we
are not investing sufficiently in finding ways to tie IE [Internet Explorer]