Quoting Marghanita da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

I share David's skepticism and would even venture he is being extremely polite given the reality.

I don't know if I am skeptical.. and reality is usually the
result of what you did yesterday...

Perhaps a change of government could improve
things.

Didn't we just do that ?

The old ones were stooges....

The biggest and most useful source of government funding is it's contracts.
There used to be a local content/industry development component but
that is gone and maybe it didn't work.

Actually that is misinformation.

We've had some excellent industries in Australia and often they've been shut down by governments unfairly. (This applies to Linux)

Then they want to do something to correct the mistake and pump in 17c but only 4c ends up getting to the people to do the work.

Who wants to work for that ?

At the same time (applies to linux), they pump money offshore to buy basically the same thing.

Perphaps there is some good management there.. keep some costs down. (doesn't apply to Linux)

However, given the size of the Australian market if
these contracts/customers are denied to local companies (to not just develop
technical but
leadership experience) then anything else the government does is just
whitewash.

more misinformation.....

There are 2 billion people on our doorstep....

are you blind ?

You really need to fix ASIO. It has a serious problem if it hasn't noticed that the population centre of the world is now about 10 hours flight away...

Can you sell ASIO off ? Talk about one "corrupted" organisation in the true sense of the word...

Most intelligence services now and for hundreds of years collect business intelligence information for their country.

ASIO does.... sure.....

but for which countries is the question that I want to know...

damn... I am trying to work on Linux and that ASIO thing still applies... because our governments don't even know where people and markets are...

David