On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Marghanita da Cruz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Perhaps a change of government could improve things.

We have had a change of government (and note: we have been talking
federally on this thread all the time). The new government stopped a
lot of the existing R&D spend to re-evaluate the situation and
consider new ways of investment into Australian R&D. The review has
been undertaken publicly with an ability for anybody in the country to
submit their point of view and suggestions for improvement. The
submissions to the review are public and can be seen at
http://www.innovation.gov.au/innovationreview/Pages/home.aspx .

If you and David have so many issues with the way the last and the
current government are/have been managing R&D investment in Australia,
I am amazed that you did not make a submission to this review and
provide constructive input such that it may be improved.

More generally speaking: I have recently discovered a tendency in
Australia that I am starting to really hate. We are very quick at
cricising the government and any sort of institutional work that is
being done. But when the opportunity comes to make constructive input,
all that is being heard is more criticism and bashing and finger
pointing and saying how much brighter and greener it is in other
people's gardens. It is simply not true that things are so much better
elsewhere - we have a very solid industry here and some solid R&D work
is going on. We have a lack in taking the R&D work in ICT (and yes: it
is mostly a problem of this industry) into production and making the
most of it for Australia. Rather than continuing to be negative about
it and blame everyone else for not getting it right, maybe we should
analyse and actually find out why this is the case.

I think that we should give this government and this review a chance
to get it right and I think we should contribute constructively to
getting it right, instead of already bashing an activity that hasn't
even started yet. I you're one of those people who throw up their arms
in the air and claim defeat before even having tried to make a
constructive change, I don't want to hear from you. (This is not a
reply to Marghanita, but rather towards the way in which this thread
has been received both on the SLUG and the LA mailing lists).

> ...and for good measure one I drafted in 1998.
> Submission on Ministerial Council Statement - Towards an Australian Strategy
> for the Information Economy
> <http://www.ramin.com.au/marg/acssub.html>

This sounds like constructive input and I will have a look. Thanks a
lot for that pointer.

Best Regards,
Silvia.