On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Michael Lake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 17:17 +1000, James Polley wrote:
>>> "apt-get remove $PACKAGENAME" doesn't work for you?
>>>
>> The above won't remove a package if there are dependencies.
>
> Jeff and Ken said:
>
>>    apt-get autoremove
>>>
>> You can also do autoremove in place of remove, to do it all at once. :-)
>>

> hat option is not listed in man dpkg or man apt-get.

It is on 50% of the (two) machines I tested - it's not on a dapper machine
but is on a hardy machine. I suspect you have something that's not hardy -
perhaps an older ubuntu, or one of the inf^H^H^Hother distributions?

> 'apt-get autoremove test'
> Invalid operation autoremove
>
> I'm using dpkg as I can cat a list of files into it.

Okay, so you have a list of files which you want to process. dpkg is still
the wrong tool for the job...

while read PACKAGENAME
do
  apt-get remove  ${PACKAGENAME}
done << $FILENAME

> Mike
>
> --
> Michael Lake
> Computational Research Centre of Expertise
> Science Faculty, UTS
> Ph: 9514 2238
>

> --
> UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
> DISCLAIMER: This email message and any accompanying attachments may contain
> confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, do not
> read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
> you have received this message in error, please notify the sender
> immediately
> and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are those of
> the
> individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with authority,
> states them to be the views of the University of Technology Sydney. Before
> opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and defects.
>
> Think. Green. Do.

> --

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself -
Zhasper, 2004