Hey hey.

On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 17:57 +1000, Michael Lake wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >> On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 17:17 +1000, James Polley wrote:
> >> "apt-get remove $PACKAGENAME" doesn't work for you?
> The above won't remove a package if there are dependencies.

It should. What version of debian / apt do you have?

To pick an example at random:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~% sudo apt-get remove compiz-core
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
required:
  libgnome-compiz-manager0
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  compiz compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-extra
compiz-fusion-plugins-main
  compiz-gnome compiz-plugins gnome-compiz-manager
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 7 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 19.7MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

> Jeff and Ken said:
> >>     apt-get autoremove
> > You can also do autoremove in place of remove, to do it all at once. :-)
>
> That option is not listed in man dpkg or man apt-get.
> 'apt-get autoremove test'
> Invalid operation autoremove

Sounding more and more like you've got a fairly old debian. You can try
using the apt-rdepends tool to list dependencies. If it's not available,
I'd probably just use dpkg to get a list of dependencies and then do
exactly what you're doing now.

Ugh. :-)

--
Pete