Hi all

Sounding more and more like you've got a fairly old debian. You can try
using the apt-rdepends tool to list dependencies. If it's not available,
I'd probably just use dpkg to get a list of dependencies and then do
exactly what you're doing now.

Ugh. :-)

Michael Lake wrote:
Maybe I'll just use the Ugh method.

This is what I need to remove, maybe all I think.
If I do "dpkg -P gnome-core" it will just remove gnome-core.
I presume there is something that is higher up the tree that if I removed it it would be removed along with gnome-*

bluez-gnome
gnome-about
gnome-applets
gnome-applets-data
gnome-backgrounds
gnome-bin
gnome-cards-data
gnome-control-center
gnome-core
gnome-cups-manager
gnome-desktop-data
gnome-doc-utils
gnome-extra-icons
gnome-games
gnome-games-data
gnome-icon-theme
gnome-keyring
gnome-keyring-manager
gnome-libs-data
gnome-lokkit
gnome-media
gnome-media-common
gnome-menus
gnome-mime-data
gnome-netstatus-applet
gnome-nettool
gnome-panel
gnome-panel-data
gnome-power-manager
gnome-screensaver
gnome-session
gnome-system-monitor
gnome-system-tools
gnome-terminal
gnome-terminal-data
gnome-themes
gnome-themes-extras
gnome-user-guide
gnome-utils
gnome-volume-manager
gnomebaker
gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs
iceweasel-gnome-support
libgnome-desktop-2
libgnome-keyring0
libgnome-media0
libgnome-menu2
libgnome-pilot2
libgnome-window-settings1
libgnome2-0
libgnome2-canvas-perl
libgnome2-common
libgnome2-perl
libgnome2-vfs-perl
libgnome32
libgnomecanvas2-0
libgnomecanvas2-common
libgnomecups1.0-1
libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a
libgnomeprint2.2-0
libgnomeprint2.2-data
libgnomeprintui2.2-0
libgnomeprintui2.2-common
libgnomesupport0
libgnomeui-0
libgnomeui-common
libgnomeui32
libgnomevfs2-0
libgnomevfs2-bin
libgnomevfs2-common
libgnomevfs2-extra
network-manager-gnome
python-gnome2
python-gnome2-desktop
python-gnome2-extras

--
Michael Lake
Computational Research Centre of Expertise

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If

Think. Green. Do.