Kyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Wow. Lots of opinions on this. And all good info, thank you.

It is a complex topic, and the range of users out there have wildly
different expectations.  That lends itself to long discussion. :)

> Having looked a little deeper and thought things through a little
> more, I can probably ask a better question. I found
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_collaborative_software which
> provides a lot of information, but more questions than answers.
>
> In short, I guess what I'm really looking for is something to set up
> shared calendars, event/meeting invites and tasks for a single domain.

Any of the options discussed so far (Zimbra, OGo, or the web stuff) will
do that; the biggest decision to make next is what sort of client
support you want.

If "just web" is enough then you have a range of choices; if you want
more than that then you need to check each option, and the price, for
that.

> I already have Postfix/Dovecot/Clamav/Spamassassin running. I need to
> maintain about 7 different email domains and have the users log in to
> each domain with separate accounts. (It's just nice to keep things
> separate.) And those mailboxes get pretty big over time.
>
> Someone asked why my preference for MailDir over MBox.

Well, I asked why you specifically wanted *Maildir* compared to the
Cyrus spool format, which is not mbox.

> To my thinking, MBox is one big file much like an Outlook .pst in that
> sense.

Well, except for being well documented and more or less standard.

> MailDir is file-per-message. Surely that's less network/server
> overhead when logging on.

No, it makes absolutely no difference when logging on or, in fact, at
any time except for when you delete a message -- and potentially not
even then, with a well written mail server package.[1]

Mbox, in fact, puts lower demands on the OS: a large Maildir folder
makes for a very large directory, often with many very similar names.

This actually stresses the directory access algorithms quite a lot
compared to many other uses, and may make access far slower than
mbox.[2]

In the more specific case of my question, which was about Maildir vs the
Cyrus mail spool -- cyrus use an mh style spool with indexing -- is
because the Cyrus spool has the advantages of Maildir without the
drawbacks in terms of filename size...

> And yes, direct spool access on occasion is, imho, a good safety net.

Well, that probably sinks you.  Several of the tools are "one file per
email" storage, which I have found valuable, but you will need to find
something without integrated mail storage if you want to do anything but
browse the spool manually.

> So maybe, I don't really need groupware, but simply a shared calendar
> resource (accessible over the web).

I suggest the Horde framework; it sounds like it might well suit you,
and should work with your existing software deployment comfortably.

> something that's not going to be _too heavy on resources.

You would have to define that: Zimbra is reasonably light, in my
experience, in that it will happily run a small installation on a
P4-2GHz with 2GB RAM.  (That is, ~ $700 of hardware these days.)

Horde, on the other hand, is lighter than that, in many cases, but
delivers less.  So, it really depends what you mean by "too heavy".

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  ...you could find poorly written software that handles mbox less
     well, but none of the options discussed so far are in that
     category.

[2]  I base this on discovering a kernel performance glitch in early 2.6
     kernels and ext3, based on deleting an email from a large maildir
     spinning in the kernel for around 30 seconds, due to a 1MB
     directory on disk and sub-optimal choices by the developers in
     scanning it for the file to delete.