On Monday 08 September 2008 07:59:29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> What makes you think that?  There have been some changes to X
> >> security
> >> over the years, but the fundamental mechanisms are still in place...
> >
> > saturn is a CentOS 5 machine:
> >
> > [eeyore] /home/jam [53]% ssh -X saturn xhost +
> > access control disabled, clients can connect from any host
> > [eeyore] /home/jam [54]% export DISPLAY=saturn:0 && xmessage hello
> > world
> > Error: Can't open display: saturn:0
>
> argh.  WRONG WRONG WRONG.
>
> xhost also uses X protocol to modify the access control, so all your
> first command did was disable access control in your client's X server
> (on eeyore?, not on saturn).

Sorry, tried to be too clever and confused things. For this EG I am on eeyore
and want to display a message on saturn, so indeed this is correct
> ssh -X saturn xhost +

> The reason why xhost + doesn't seem to work on a lot of linux systems
> is that TCP sessions are disabled by default in most deployments
> (forcing you to use unix domain sockets), forcing you to use a X11
> protocol forwarder (such as ssh) to get to the Xserver.

As many have pointed out TCP is the issue. Why is port 6000 closed with no
tcp ? (clearly security, is it just to disable the xhost suit of ways)

How would you use ssh to run a program on eeyore, from eeyore, but display on
saturn? The opposite is trivial ie display HERE a program running THERE.

> If security is not a concern, start the X server on saturn with -ac so
> access control is disabled completely in that server rather than
> trying to xhost it.
This thin clients DO (-ac) and it does not work, which is how this thread
started :-) (but almost certainly the thin clients do no-tcp)

Thanks
James