Gonzalo Servat <gser...@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Daniel Pittman <dan...@rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>> [..snip..]
>> > Yes. It works reliably and I haven't touched it for weeks.
>>
>> Thanks.  How difficult was the initial configuration, and does that
>> include ENUM or other policy routing?
>
> Well, like I said, there is an initial learning curve (as you would
> expect with something as powerful as PBX) but as with what most/all
> people that use the software say about it: it's worth it. Yes, it has
> an enum module.

I guess I was looking for something a little more details, as indeed you
did say that up front.  I understand you had previously used Asterisk,
so was wondering how you felt the two compared, I guess.

Also, having actually integrated ENUM with an Asterisk dialplan,
I wished to be able to stab the people who designed both the language
and the ENUM integration.

I hoped you had configured ENUM in FreeSWITCH and could shed light on
how difficult or easy you found it: a one line change, a dozen lines of
JavaScript, a thousand lines of XML, or you gave up after a month?

I understand that it can be hard to transport that information from
person to person, but it would give me some idea how pleasant you found
the process. :)

>> It does have a bit of a learning curve, but it's worth it.
>>
>> Mmmmm.  Is there an "out of the box" solution to that need, or just the
>> ability to build one?  I can, I suppose, put one together, but something
>> that just worked(tm) would be nice...
>
> Again, if you just want it to ring a couple of phones when a call
> comes in then it shouldn't be hard at all to do. However, if you want
> to build an IVR then you will probably have to code it up in one of
> the supported languages that I mentioned.

Ah.  So, no shipped trivial answering machine script.  Oh, well.  Life,
I suppose, does not always suit my convenience. :)

>> > Check out #freeswitch on irc.freenode.net.
>>
>> I appreciate the suggestion, but it is lacks much appeal for me; I strongly
>> dislike IRC as a mechanism for technical discussion.
>
> That's a shame. A lot of projects use IRC as a medium for real-time
> discussion including FreeSWITCH.

Yeah.  I am aware this limits my options, and potentially makes it more
difficult for me to benefit from help from some other users.

I feel, overall, that this is counterbalanced by less overall pain and
suffering on my part, and to date has meant that only one project was
inaccessible to me — they used only IRC.

Anyway, my personal tastes are not your problem, and thank you for the
suggestion. :)

Regards,
        daniel