Last night I was trying to upgrade some Ubuntu machines using the Ubuntu CDs (rather than downloading all the packages), in order to save bandwidth. I couldn't get the upgrade to download packages off the CD; in the end I did clean installs - no big deal since /home was separate.

I'm just wondering how you're supposed to do it, and more importantly, how a newbie would be supposed to do it.

I tried doing it the GUI way - adding the CD via "Software Sources", then upgrading via "Update Manager"

I tried doing it via the shell - various combinations of `apt cd-rom add`, `apt-get update`, `apt-get upgrade`, `apt-get dist-upgrade`, editing /etc/apt/sources.list.

The only thing I can think of is that I was using the Live CDs - should I have used the Alternate CDs instead?

--
Sonia Hamilton.