Thanks for that, I'll give it a go on the next upgrade I do.

But going back to the second part of my question, how would a non-technical user do it?

For example, here's a hypothetical use case for a 3rd world country I've worked in:

"Juan-Carlos has been using Ubuntu for 12 months, and now wants to upgrade because he's heard that Network Manager will solve some networking issues he's having. He is currently sharing an expensive satellite link with several neighbours, and downloading 1G of files to upgrade is out of the question. He travels by bus into the district capital, and downloads and burns the next Ubuntu iso at an internet cafe. Upon getting home, he tries to upgrade using the CD but none of the menu items cause the files on the CD to be used. In disgust, he let's his neighbour reinstall a pirate copy of Window$ XP SP2 and solves his network problems".

(It's Guatemala, and "privatise everything" has done wonders for the cost of utilities).

Sonia Hamilton.

Blindraven wrote:
2 Ways you can do that :

 Mount the ISO as a drive with a command like: sudo mount -o loop
~/Desktop/ubuntu-8.10-alternate-i386.iso /media/cdrom0

or

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

Regards,
Harrison.