Michael Lake wrote:
I basically want a free/open source server for Linux and a free client for Windows for several users to display a Gnome desktop. Plain ssh -X is not sufficient.
I've done it one of two ways:

1. Using a Windows X-Server like Xming (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming) and then ssh in using your client of choice (putty works fine for this). I've setup plenty of Windows-based DBAs like this before

2. Setup some sort of VNC server on the linux box and use a VNC client to connect. There's a few ways of doing this.

Using the first way is the easiest of the two I reckon.