Ken Foskey wrote:
On Fri, 2009-03-20 at 14:19 +1100, Michael Lake wrote:
I can run though things like xterms and from those run the Gimp from the remote machine. Works very well and is not slow. I just have to work out how to run a Gnome session so the users on the Windows machine locally can see the Gnome menus on the remote machine.

Ensure you have xdmcp enabled:   (See I got it wrong...)
system:   Administration :  Remote (tab)
    check that Style is not set to 'Remote login disabled'.
This is insecure, so ssh is far more secure.   You could tunnel through
but it would take more set up.

Ah I don't have a gdm.conf nor Admin/Remote in the menus.
(normally one would add I think enable=true into some [xdmcp] section)

Anyways what I did was to use Ming's XLaunch and selected to start a program. Rather than start a ssh session I entered gnome-session, gave the host, username and password and Gnome started up.

Speed is quite fine but after a while I get "Not responding". Then its OK for a while then not responding.

--
Michael Lake
Computational Research Centre of Expertise

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If

Think. Green. Do.