Rob> On 22 Apr 2009, Danny Yee wrote:
>> Does any vendor in Australia sell Linux netbooks?  The only one I
>> can find is the original 7" Asus EeePC - everything else seems to
>> be XP.

Rob> At least the EeePC 901 and the Aspire One are available with
Rob> Linux (I bought my Aspire One from OfficeWorks, Linux EeePCs seem
Rob> to be a lot harder to find in stores).

I have an Aspire One (and am typing this in Emacs on it right now).
The distribution of Linux that it comes with isn't great, if you want
something full featured --- it's aimed at people who want to do a bit
of web browsing, look at a photo or two, and do some microsoft-like
word processing (i.e., it has open office).

However, it's really easy to install the Ubuntu netbook remix, and
Jaunty has drivers for everything pout of the box (Intrepid needed a
bit of help; I compiled a custom kernel with the appropriate drivers,
and almst nothing as modules, to speed booting).

You do need more memory than the standard version.  You can fit in
another 1G DIMM, and then the machine is perfectly adequate for most
things.

I also installed a Kingston 16G SD card to hold /home; otherwise the
8G SSD fills up quite fast, by the time you've got lilypond, emacs,
texpower etc., installed.  Of course, your preferred application mix
may be different from mine.

Peter  C